K10 Tacho issues

Just wondering if anybody else has had any problems in fitting a tacho to a K10. I recently fitted a digital tacho to my 10 and although wired up correctly and with cylinder selector switches in the correct positions for a four cylinder engine, when the engine is running the display on the tacho just bounces all over the place, bearing no resemblance to what the engine is actually doing. I phoned the company concerned who very kindly sent me another tacho to try but this one also responded in exactly the same way. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated :confused:

Positive to switched live on stereo, negative to engine earth & signal wire to negative side of coil. Also tried it straight to pos & neg on battery plus neg side of coil with same result

Tacho wires are red, black and blue Frank. Is it just a compatibility issue, new technology meets (very!) old technology? Could it be worth trying a traditional type of tach rather than a digital?? :confused:

i,ve had problems with reverse technology (the electronic ecu signal was too weak to power the old tacho) but i would have thought yours would be ok :confused:
and on my current tacho the wire colours were a bit arse-about-face iirc

Cheers Frank, have just pulled tacho out now to send back, left wiring in place if I decide to try another one but for now its back to using ears and 'feel' :rolleyes:

my old kart digital tacho was handy (was on bluey when it was nicked :() you just clipped the antenna clip onto a pluglead.
and it displayed the recent max rpm achieved whenever you turned the engine off :cool:

Back