intermediate wipers

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Micra_King WROTE:

"Any one know if there is a relay that controls the intermediate setting on the wipers? Mine are playing up but the rest of the settings work fine still. Thanks.

Yup - it's on the back of the firewall next to the tube-like motor - it's a small box with a 6-pin plug going into it (from memory). Replacing that with a known-working one from the wreckers should solve most issues related to intermittent wiper problems. Note though that the LX has a different relay from memory as they don't have the intermittent setting.

---dens

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
You should be able to get an aftermarket part, I have not looked at how they plug in on a Micra, but you have always been able to buy variable delay relays for generic use.

A few have some ability to change the delay by just holding the switch on or something, of course in some applications I know they use a special relay, but with some wires I have seen many replaced with stock generic relays, if you have the room to fit it.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
mipcar WROTE:

"Has anyone ever successfully made an intermittent setting for the rear wiper?

I asked my auto electrics guru if I could have intermittent as well as retaining the continuous setting, his opinion was it would be tricky to do.

Given how infrequently most people need to use the rear wiper I'd say it's almost certainly never been done on a Micra and would say it's unlikely anyone else would've done it to other cars that have only had a simple on/off switch for it. I don't think I've ever seen a car with an intermittent rear wiper in Australia..

---dens

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
Places like Jaycar used to sell a variable relay kit, 15min with a soldering tool and you can put a variable delay on anything you want.

So it's not hard to do, as long as you can find the wires that go to something, you can put the delay in the circuit, it would then just be a case of where you want to put the control box.

As for factory intermittent rear wipers?, the car I just got rid of to buy a Micra had one, my turbo Volvo, as have several other cars I have owned, it's fairly common on higher spec cars.

Back