Increased revs when foot comes off throttle - is this normal?

I've just purchased an Essenza. Nice car so far but I notice when I take my foot off the throttle to change up when accelerating the revs go up breifly before going down. I thought this was odd but the dealer says it is normal for Nissans. Any views on if this is normal and, if not, why it may be happenning?

Thanks for any advice.

Martin

if your thrashing it a bit, high up in the revs and your pressing the clutch as lifting the accelerator a little lift in revs wouldn't be too unusual... i don't have an explanation as to why though :p

if your thrashing it a bit, high up in the revs and your pressing the clutch as lifting the accelerator a little lift in revs wouldn't be too unusual... i don't have an explanation as to why though :p

This happens with my foot not on the clutch - at first I thought that was the reason too...

Hi fuseman and welcome!
If you take your foot off of the accelerater without the clutch being disengaged then the revs cannot rise without the car speeding up as the engine speed and wheel speed are directly linked. you say it happens when you go to change gear? sorry if i sound silly but surely you put the clutch down when you change gear? are you sure you are not putting the clutch down slightly before you release the throttle? As this obviousely disengages the wheels from the engine and allows it to rev up freely if you still have your food slightly on the throttle.
maybe a video would help us propperly understand what you mean:)

its probably a fly-by-wire/software glitch eh, our diesel workvan does it too fwn

are we talking elec throttle then?
arr yes, silly me, just re-read the OP and saw the word 'Essenza' in which case i would say that frank is right(Y) *cough as usual cough*
I dont know much about fly-by-wire but im guessing if you really wanted you could record the voltage from the sensor as you were driving and it would confirm/rule out this idea. but as stated in your OP it is probably just a common problem and nothing to worry about:)

its probably hard to get an electronic system to respond like a mechanical/cable type throttle, our little van is,nt a problem its just a bit un-nerving at first :eek:

its probably hard to get an electronic system to respond like a mechanical/cable type throttle, our little van is,nt a problem its just a bit un-nerving at first :eek:

That's helpful - I can't decide if it really is a problem or not - it just feels as if I'm not changing gear smoothly. Any other feedback would be helpful.

my almera gti does this i think, from cold it idles at at approx 1500rpm and if your driving along, let the car slow down to maybe 1000rpm and push the clutch in it shoots right up to 2000rpm then back to the 1500rpm

I noticed this in my 160SR, and did a few tests, its normal for the rev to go up when changing gear, because as soon as you lift your foot off the accelerator the engine does not come to an idle straight away hence when you press the clutch, you see the rev go up. The rev never goes up just by lifting your foot off the accelerator. On the otherhand while driving in gear, just press the clutch you will see the rev go up. Therefore when changing gear up, when you press the clutch, the rev will slightly go up before it goes down.

I think ours has a problem like this and it is not good for the clutch. Its somthing it has aquired over time. Is there a way of resetting the ecu / throttle body? I know on some cars you can reset some learning perameters of the ecu by removing the earth, can this be done on the micra?

why do i feel like i have this problem in my k10... rev upto 3k in 4th for example off the gas onto the clutch and then he revs! then smell a little burning :( poor guy

Back