In car neons

Good morning one and all.

I'm brand new to micra.org.uk and i have a question for your brilliant minds to awnser for me!

I am currently in the process of installing a neon light kit in my car.

Currently i am having to use a seperate battery to power them. Which is expensive to say the least, since i have to keep replacing it.

I guess i would like to hook the cables up to the cigarette lighter power feed, as all of my current cabling leads to that point.

I have taken out the center console, and am leaft with the radio and assorted other goodies.

When i look at the cigarette lighter socket it has the following config:

1 large cable consealing 3 wires (the 3 wires are bound together in black electrical tape.

1 red wire: Connects to the "back" of the cigarette lighter unit
1 black wire (i think): connects again to the back of the cigarette lighter
1 yellow wire: Connects to the left hand side of the cigarette lighter

I have a vauge aptitude for electronics, but not exactly degree level.

So basicly.

I would like to know which cables that i should use to connect up my neon kit. (I don't have to use the cigarette lighter power, if there is an easier alternative then i am happy to try it)

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to acomplish this?

Should i simply cut the red wire, solder on my posative to it then cut the yellow wire (on the side of the unit) and solder my negative onto it?

I hope i have given enough details and i have posted this in the right place!

Many thanks in advance!

Thomas Gray

Internal Neons Fitting

Dear Thomas,

I you were to fit neons inside your vehicle, you would be better off looking under the bonnet to see if you can run a wire from the battery into the car that way, then you can use a seperate fuse and switch. Usually you can find a rubber gromet that seperates the engine bay and the interior to feed a wire through. I have fitted a few LED & Neon kits in my time. When you put your side lights on is there a ring that lights up around you cigarette lighter?

from

Phil
:k11motors

You've put "not sure" for your car type in your profile so im going to assume you are referring to the K10, as this is in the K10 section. If its old and boxy, its this model. Bubble shape, K11 and frog shape with huge headlights, K12.

The cigarette socket wires are usually black for earth and blue for switched live, so im not sure where your red and yellow come into it! Then again, you referred to black tape so sounds like someone's butchered about behind there in the past.

Interior neons are usually safe to run off the cig socket, but i think its best as written above, to run a new system & switch off the battery. Its very straight forward stuff. You can buy in line fuses from halfords / ebay and connect it to the battery's positive. The standard car battery should cope with things like this instead of running them all off a second battery :)

A picture of my car is below

It was above 800x600 tho so i have just linked to it..

My Car

Ok... I have also taken a picture of my cigarette lighter itself...

Picture 1
Picture 1 is taken from the angle looking up at it from the footwell passangers side.

On closer insppection the cigarette lighter has 1 black wire leading into the back, 1 black and orange wire leading into the back

and i can't tell what colour the wire is that leads to the side.

Does this shead any light on the issue? Or is the general thought, that i should go from the battery?

Because i allready have a seperate switch for the lights that i have installed.

All i would need to do for the cigarette lighter would be to move 2 cables up around 6cm and connect them you see.

Also my confidence with engines is severely lacking.

Thanks again!

Tom.

That looks like a K11 to me, so i've moved your post to the K11 section.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you out :)

Welcome to the club :)

James.

the black and orange wire leading into the back is power on from ignition and the one leading into the side is from the lights on the dash so that the lighter iluminates at night :p

hope that helps

oh and black is ground (neutral)

jackassuk

Got it now :p

I did an eany meany miny mo on the cigarette lighter. and got it right!
woo

Sadly in the process of installing the passenger footwell bulb, i smashed it. So looks alittle odd now.

Cheers for the help everyone!

Tom

Back