How long SHOULD it take to change both Track Rod Ends?

Please note the capitalised "Should", because I'm a Nihilist my nature tends towards the worst case scenario. ;) Also, are there any hints/tricks/tips/shortcuts anyone can give me that make the job easier? I am a Mechanical Luddite.

Well.....it took my dad about 20 - 30 minutes each side when he did the Track rod ends on my K12 (and he's done mums too)
....but he's an ex-naval engineer...so... handy with a spanner :p

get the tracking checked after you've changed them ^_^

try to count the rotations when taking off the old end so you can line up the new one fairly closely to how the old one was....if that makes sense

.....that is the sum total of my track rod end knowledge.... good luck :D

Im gonna be doing mine thanks to the motivation from this forum...darn me i changed wishbones instead and didnt see much diff...somehow got to believe thast the crazy steering upo going over potholes was linked to worn wishbones..now i learnt thast 99% its the tie rod ends.

I have movement horizontally in the front wheels when jacked.butnot as much as the car i saw on a youtube tutorial..and i have no vertical movement in the wheels

Have you tightened your drive shaft nuts up?

I know someone who forgot and experienced wheel wobble :rolleyes:
Thankfully the the split pin was in...

These ones have Nylock nuts on them, and yes I did. I do have my moments (It's my age, you know ;) ), but when it comes to brakes and steering I pay CLOSE attention :)

Just a quick hint from someone else who's done this job, if they're stuck whack the knuckle with a hammer, not the T.R.E. The vibration will get them out a lot faster :).

Back