Headunit / Earth Problem

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
I posted this on AOC aswell as the problem is on my almera (not a micra)... but as they are plenty of ICE experts here I thought why not post here too ;)

My headunit keeps switching itself off and back on again, constantly (so listening to music is not possible) when its under-load (ie. when the volume is up, or the song has a lot of bass in it, etc).

At a complete guess, id say i either have a headunit problem or an earth problem (as the rest of the car electrics are fine, so im assuming that the battery and alternator are both good and supplying enough power).

I know its not for a micra, but would anyone know where the earth point is likely to be? and also does it sounds like a dodgy earth or dodgy HU?

Cheers!!

If there like the micra then standard headunit doesn't have a proper earth it relies on the aerial to earth the headunit. Why not just make a new earth, shouldn't cost more than 50p. Just make sure you attach it to a nice clean piece of metal that has a good direct run to the floor.

Also check that no wires are loose or damaged, try checking them as far as your hands and eyes will let you as if there is any damage then it will most likely be there.

check to make sure you got your speakers wired properly and that you're matching the ohm loads properly (ie if the unit can only handle 4-8 ohm, don't try and run it on 2 ohm) your unit might have a safety circuit that'll kick in when it notices the speakers are pulling too much current...

if this doesn't solve your problem and if you have the money and knowledge, buy a speaker amp, hook it up and see if it fixes the problem. my guess is that you have improper wiring, or your head unit can't handle that much power.

ive only got standard speakers so they are fine, plus it all used to work fine so something has got knackered. if its not an earth point then im guessing its the HU....

cheers :)

Back