Got my Throttle Body out, now some questions...

Right, been tinkering about the T/B, got it removed for a clean and the solder fix... What a bugger to get out though, those clips holding the coolant hoses on put up a hell of a fight...

Just got a few questions...
DSC_1299.jpg

Does the inlet manifold look ok here, seems a bit mucky... Should I be cleaning it and how? Also, what can I clean the gasket with, petrol?

DSC_13005.jpg

Also uncovered this hose that isn't attached to anything? Should it be connected up to anything or is it just a breather hose that clips in somewhere?

DSC_1305.jpg

Had to cut the breather hose off here too, whats left seems a bit perished... Is there a way to cut it back and connect a new length in?

DSC_1302.jpg

DSC_1303.jpg

Just a tip to end with... Any open hoses you can cover with the finger of a rubber glove... Sit on nice and snug! For the coolant hoses I've plugged them with a bolt then taped the finger on over the top...

Anyway, any help guys, as always, appreciated!...

Just pull that bit of vacuum hose off oddball, and thats a breather pipe for the gearbox ( not important)

dont mean to hijack the thread but frank on my 1.0l the throttle body wast piped up through water system there wasnt any pipes at all, but on the cga3, there were two pipes for it i have bypassed the htrottle body and joined the pipes will this affect anything?

dont mean to hijack the thread but frank on my 1.0l the throttle body wast piped up through water system there wasnt any pipes at all, but on the cga3, there were two pipes for it i have bypassed the htrottle body and joined the pipes will this affect anything?
Nah, it,ll be fine belly :) the bba reman site lists 2 bosch t/b,s, 1 with pipes and 1 without.

thats good then :) the pipes are on the t/b but with them not being used on the 1.0l i didnt want to hook it up incase it caused problems

1. light coat of oil in the inlet mani is normal. it's cos the crankcase oil vapours gets sucked through the pcv valve, into the inlet mani behind the TB and burnt in the engine whenever the throttles closed and the oil vapour condenses on the cooler manifold walls.

the TB gasket you can clean with anything such as a rag, wd40, carb/brake cleaner etc

2. that u-bend pipe is basically the gearbox case breather pipe, tis normal

3. that thin hose bit behind the TB has broken off. at the top of the black carbon canistor you'll see a thick tube and a thinner vacuum tube. the thinner vac tube goes from the canistors diaphram port to the thin port at the back of the TB thats broken off.
what happens is when the throttles closed, the inlet vacuum through this pipe causes the canistors diaphram to open and the collected fuel tank vapours are vented into the inlet mani to be burnt

I highly recomend you drill a hole in the side wall of the throttle body below the butterfly and fit a valve to introduce nitrous :D

I tell you what... What a bugger of a job! Took ages getting the T/B out the car, mainly due to those hose clip thingies... And as for opening it up!?... Guide made it look so easy... was a right pain even with it out he car and on a table, wouldn't fancy doing it with it in situ on the car!

Went back in relatively quickly and easily mind, apart from one of the hose clips making a bid for freedom and being nar invisible on my pebbled drive (why don't they make parts like this bright red or yellow or something?)

Idle does seem a lot smoother now and more uniform... but not perfect but then I guess maybe I'm being too sceptical... She's defo more responsive though!

One thing I did notice however though, was that with any throttle applied, the engine revs on for a second or 2 after the gas is released... but that seems pretty nomal to me... Is it?

Thanks to everyone for their help... Oh, and especially to Hoop who suggested I try a pack of O-rings from Halfords to see if I could find one the same size as the one in the Idle Control Valve, which was torn on mine... Did just that and found one! I think that may well have been the root cause of thedle problems, but thought I'd do the solder fix while I was at it, just to be sure...

Back