Engine cutting out (Video) Low revs

Hi,

The car managed to stall en route to the MOT garage yesterday. Only 2nd drive of it and seem that when I slowed for a junction, its starting to stutter and then after a little effort of turning into the junction and up a small incline she gave out.

Managed to start her on 2nd attempt, got her about 200m up the road and same again. On the way back she had no issues, but I made a note not to slow down too much. Only a mile to garage.

Started her up today and rev counter went ape as in video:

This clip I do rev abit but wanted to replicate the stall from yesterday:

So I have searched the forum and found the thread about low rev stutter on the K10, (http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=33302) but wanted to see if the video/sound helped with diagnosis at all?

Ross

Will leave it running for a while take it for a spin around the block and see what I can do. Unfortunatly I am on a trackday weekend this weekend so won't have much time to test until Monday.

Right, when as far as changing air filter and dist cap and now its not starting. It had some issues before, not turning over every time but now there is spark just not kicking in. ###### ###### ######!

any chance that the HT leads could have meen accidentally mixed around during the cap change?

if not then I wonder if the previous problem (stuttering) could be related ie the electrix isnt doing teh biz for a reliable spark.

SIDE NOTE> a while back (few months) i got a bad stutter at very high rpm....(cut a long story short) the alternator was tired and not charging so I was driving off the battery....when the battery started to run out, the high rpm was too much demand on teh power supply for a consistent spark...Yet in all of this, my charge warning light was not illuminated as you might expect for this type of failure......could be worth a quick prod accross teh battery while running to be sure you have a good 14.5v charging voltage

Sammo, cheers for the tips, leads me right on to this:

Right, Leads were done one at a time, so know they werent mixed.

I took the air filter cover off and tried to kick her over but nothing, so held open the choke flap with a screw driver and she kicked into life. She then ran for 2 mins athen stalled.

Turned her over again, small amount of revs to get her going, choke being held open and she ran for 10mins. I then went to wind back the sunroof and interior light dimmed then car spluttered off.

Ok, so no playing with leccy bits, ran her again for 10 mins, she seemed fine, rad fan whiring away but seemed ok.

So thats how it stands, can't find the Auto Choke adjuster, seems in different place that standard. And guessing possible alternator problem??

Took a while to start this morning, and same process as before. Ran ok, if a bit noisy to the garage this morning. There going to check out the alternator, choke and give her a quick once over for me.

check battery voltage and alternator voltage. should be about 14.5 v
also, check voltage on coil, mine k10 got some problems with rusted/loose connections, so some times the coil cut off completely.

if you have non-electric dizzy, have you checked points? that was one of the first suggestions in my problem topic, when i had problems with stuttering. i did not know what points were, so later, when i investigated, i disassembled the dizzy and found out, that points were melted - not changed during 200000km

Got it back from the garage last night. Serviced so new plugs, oil, Dist cap and they also checked the alternator. Mech took it for a 5 min spin and no problems. I drove it home 1 mile and no problems.

Took it for a spin last night with the girlfriend and it seemed fine.

So this morning decided to brave it and do the 8 mile journey to work. Got about half a mile down the road and it did the usual dicky fit with the revs, almost stalled, revved it up a little and seemed fine.
Decided to head back and had to pull over on side of the road. Didn't stall but lost all go and sat they sputtering. After 2 mins or so it picked up again, managed to limp it home and had to take the Skyline into work.

So.............Help me Obi One Kenobe :(

Popped it into the garage, slight turn of the idle screw helped, replacement condenser seems to have done the trick.

Many thanks to all the suggestions, I will be making the maiden voyage tomorrow, so if you see a yellow car stuck on the A40, beep your horn twice if you think I'm sexy!(Y)

Well didn't last long. Maiden trip to work, broke down on M4.

I picked the car up this morning. Took it for a nice drive around Bracknell, up duel carriage way for a bit. Seemed spot on. Drive lasted a good 30 mins and not one flutter.

2 hours later, take the 8 mile drive to work. Seemed fine, tootling along at 60mph (ish), just got onto the M4 when the engine just lost all power. Lights and the rest were fine, just dropped to zero revs, still ticking just but near enough dead.

Coasted to lay by and took me actually turning ignition off for it to come to a stop.

Attempted to turn the engine over but not just not catching. under hood a little bit, nothing smoking, on fire, leaking etc. Checked all spark point were tight. Air filter off to look at choke, all the way open (?).
Tried to tick over a few times and although it was abit stronger still not catching.

Waited for about 5 mins and then tried again, giving it some accelerator and just kicked in. Managed to finish the rest of the journey (3 miles) and got to work ok.

So, Suggestions? This "seems" to be a little bit different to the above.

Sounds like muck floating about in the float chamber (carb). car runs fine untill the muck gets draged up then blocks the fuel passage killing the motor. Once the engine stops the fuel pressure drops and the muck sinks back into the float chamber. All is fine again till it gets draged up again,........That would be my bet

Sounds like muck floating about in the float chamber (carb). car runs fine untill the muck gets draged up then blocks the fuel passage killing the motor. Once the engine stops the fuel pressure drops and the muck sinks back into the float chamber. All is fine again till it gets draged up again,........That would be my bet

Top tip :)
Could the fact that its electronically controlled be a problem?

Back