Dipstick problem??

D

doris_blue

Hello,
Not sure if anyone has had this problem before?
I have had a search and cant find any posts regarding this....
We have a 1994 L k11 1.0
the problem is that the plastic handle on the dipstick has snapped off leaving the rest still stuck in the tube.
It has snapped just below the top of the tube and so cant get it out. We have tried pulling it with long nose pliers with no luck...tried putting a self tapper in it and pulling it out..no luck..!!
I have heard on the internet that this might be a common fault (on nissan sentras at least!)
Does anyone have any ideas? does the dipstick tube come away from the engine block?
I have heard a mention of blowing it out using compressed air via crankcase breather???
Any ideas are very welcome.
Cheers!

Blowing it out wont work. The dipstick tube is pressed in to the engine - it should be possible to pull it out and then put it back in its simply held in by friction - but sometimes quite alot of friction.!!

This is the time you wished you brought that little (Pen Magnet) what can pick up hammers , from the dodgy dude at the carboot sale.

if you havent a clue what im on about ... just ignor me :D

magnet would not help here. Hughes comment could be the best option

Thanks for the replies everybody...It will need sorting out soon :down: !!
Has anyone else ever had this happen?fwn
All info gladly recieved

the dipstick plastic is normally quite flexable, its door handles and boot handles that snap...

if it's just the handle that's snapped off and the stick is still in, just get another dipstick from the scrappy and leave the other one in lol

Alienfish360 said:
if it's just the handle that's snapped off and the stick is still in, just get another dipstick from the scrappy and leave the other one in lol
ah but how do you use the new one when the old one is still stuck in the way? eh?

Looks like the sump coming off would be thebest idea to me.
The dipstick is really stuck!! We have had a pair of long nose pliers on it and it wont budge...a self tapper in the remaining plastic + pliers, still wont budge it.
now...wheres the dynamite gone??

doris_blue said:
Looks like the sump coming off would be thebest idea to me.
The dipstick is really stuck!! We have had a pair of long nose pliers on it and it wont budge...a self tapper in the remaining plastic + pliers, still wont budge it.
now...wheres the dynamite gone??

lol, :D

take the sump off (obviously empty it first ;)) then cut the end of the dipstick and pull it through from the bottom because i think you have alot more trouble pushing it out ;)

good luck mate,

if its a common problem then it might be helpful making a guide?

Alienfish360 said:
why not cut 1/2 inch off the top of the dipstick pipe tubey thing? and pull it out then?

cos then there'd be nothing to hold on to...

The dipstick holder down to the sump looks like it can be removed by unscrewing the nut down the bottom on my engine. Mabye have a closer look at yours?

Hi and thanks again for the help.
If you was to cut some from the top of the tube..then wouldnt the dipstick always give a false reading or not fit in the tube again OK??
I had heard that this has happened to a couple of people with micra k11's and from I can gather on the internet, a lot of people with sentras in the U.S...so much so that they are trying to get together to force nissan to make a recall.
The micra is actually my dads car (I now have an almera 1600) so I shall have a word and pass on all the advice to him.
I will let you know what happens!

try soaking the plastic and tube with wd40 as this is a penetrative oil and should hopefully free up the plastic so you can pull it out with the screw you inserted or try some mole grips.

i wonder how it's stuck....? if you manage to get it out and then get a replacement you may end up getting that stuck too :(

NeX said:
i wonder how it's stuck....? if you manage to get it out and then get a replacement you may end up getting that stuck too :(
i used to be a nissan technician, i've had some tight ones in my time. iirc it's corrosion at the top of the tube which makes them stick.

Thanks again for the replies!
When I said that sentra owners in the U.S :unclesam: were trying to get nissan to recall the cars..I meant new and nearly new sentras..some only a year old or so.
As for recalls..my previous punto was recalled by fiat for brake pipes when it was getting on for 10 years old!
I know that nissan wouldn't recall k11 micras for this fault though!!
we went to a nissan dealers today to buy a new dipstick tube for it (the other has now become damaged attempting to remove the dipstick:down: ) Cost:- £6.87 not too bad.....

just an update on this prob.
Bought the new tube from nissan...and found that it is slightly different to the original.
The old dipstick doesn't fit it!
I went back to the dealers and they said they didn't know why this should be the case as it is the only part for the car. They checked for me and it turns out the design has now been modified and a new dipstick must be bought at the same time (there was no notice by nissan to the dealers). So it turns out it must have been a design fault with the dipstick after all......maybe they should have recalled them earlier??

try a electric glue gun to weld the plastic back on then pull it out and replace

Back