corsa b coilovers to fit micra ( HOW TOO )

The other day i got the first few mods on the front of my corsa b coilovers.

today i got the most pics i could to explain in simple terms how to do it, this is what i done first.

first i tied up the micra spring to take the tension of the spring why i buzzed the top nut off.
Photo0144.jpg

Photo0146.jpg

then i took pics of the micra componants you will need to keep.

the micra top suspension mount, the bit that sticks up try to follow the same mesurements.
Photo0155.jpg

the steering washer that makes the suspension leg turn, you will need this.
Photo0150.jpg

how it sits on the micra suspension top mount.
Photo0157.jpg

both micra and corsa top mounts, micra - left.
Photo0140.jpg

corsa b top mount lathed to the same demensions as the micra one.
Photo0162.jpg

Photo0160.jpg

Photo0161.jpg

OP
OP
NIPPY
how the turn washer fits on the corsa b top mount
Photo0164.jpg

Photo0163.jpg

corsa b top mount with washer and micra leg mount
Photo0166.jpg

as for the corsa b leg it self the holes were pretty close as you can see.
Photo0134.jpg

Photo0135.jpg

the top camber hole i drilled out centre to the bottom hole.
Photo0167.jpg

as for the micra top cup i forgot to drill that out, so tomorrow i will get it drilled and load pics of the legs all assembled together :p

OP
OP
NIPPY
that nylon thrust washer might be a bit short lived eh nippy :eek: on karls we used both cups iirc

when i looked at it i thought that, but i have had 2 opinions and they both said it should be fine, i was thinkin of getting a washer welded on to the top cup mount just so it sat the hole of the washer on but i still might do, but i will look more into it thatnk you for pointing it out (Y)

frank

Club Member
Hmm i will look into it more, do you have pics of what you done mate?

we fitted the corsa cup under the micra one nippy (else the nylon thrust bearing is,nt supported and will probably collapse under the weight of the car )

OP
OP
NIPPY
we fitted the corsa cup under the micra one nippy (else the nylon thrust bearing is,nt supported and will probably collapse under the weight of the car )

i see what you mean, how was both cups supported tho, or was they just sitting freely?

OP
OP
NIPPY
i got pics of what i think you done frank.

tell me if this is right.

corsa b cup mount
Photo0168.jpg

then on top the micra cup mount.
Photo0169.jpg

Photo0170.jpg

Photo0171.jpg

markbognor

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
I think I might be inclined to trim the micra top mount down along the green line. In the pic it looks a little bit like the shaped section that forms the spring seat would prevent it from sitting right.

You have a lathe though so why not turn up a thick washer the correct diameter to suit the shaft and the thrust washer.

Topmount.jpg

OP
OP
NIPPY
i had a think to see how i could get the thrust washer sitting nice, a little mess on windows paint and i came up with this.

micra.jpg

it dont sit full frank, as i had it lathed down :down:

and i was thinkin of cutting the top off just to use it as a big washer mark (Y)

OP
OP
NIPPY
Is it not possible to lathe the spring cup more until the thrustwasher sits completely on it?

not really mate as its been lathed down pretty far as it is, any more and it might go through, but there is only about 2mm hanging over the sides, not much really, i have seen on a blog on the net, of a k10 micra that dint lathe his down at first and was running with the thrust washer hanging over pretty far the pics i done on paint, if i lathe down abit more nearer to the edge and get a alloy washer lathed up and taked in place just for the thrust washer to sit on should work

OP
OP
NIPPY
had another day with the coilovers today, so i took the top cup mount to my dads good friend, to see what he can do with the top cup to try and get the thrust washer seating abit better, also asked him to drill the top leg mount, and to file down the metal bush thing on the corsa rear shock, but today i had a little problem! i snaped a bolt :doh: trying to take the right hand rear shocker off.

clean SNAP :down:
Photo0173.jpg

not to worry tho as the bolts that hold the front legs on fit FTW!!! :laugh: and they fit alot better i think :wasntme:
Photo0174.jpg

i got bored after and done this.
Photo0175.jpg

Photo0176.jpg

i tryed the corsa b springs in with no shockers, just to get a look at what she would look like laying down :laugh:
clearly the springs dont fit.

Photo0180.jpg

Photo0177.jpg

Photo0178.jpg

Photo0179.jpg

But monday i pick my bits up from me dads good friend, then they will be all done, apart from cut springs, that should'nt be a problem tho grr

also with my car living its life on the north east coast, its rotten, so the nuts holding the panhard rod on, are fooooked, any tips on how to get them off with not another SNAP!

frank

Club Member
we fired them on there (where theres plenty of heatsoak) :grinning:

Attachments

• Photo0124-1.jpg
    Photo0124-1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,491

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
this may help. after a few days i got some bang up noises . dont know if it was up or down stroke on the front left suspension,
fiddled with it a few days then eventually thought to cut the sleeve down a bit, then thought naa first add 5mm to the 3.4 mm as cannot add once cut. now its gone back perfect. the problem was the spring cup spoilin on where the sleeve meets the bottom seating. must have cleared it now, smooth smooth all the way now better deal with balljoints/cv'joins what not

self centering ,,,,,,,,
DSC02379.jpg

centralized by top nut hole being caressed by franks circular file
DSC02382.jpg

the assembly, no helper springs.
DSC02362.jpg

DSC02371.jpg

DSC02378.jpg

where it was catching the top spring holder
DSC02384.jpg

where to weld
DSC02367.jpg

sleeve size , i would go for 3.9 mm to clear any trouble :grinning:
DSC02374.jpg

pipe i used to add 5 mm length, place at the very top after sleeve. gonna need a one piece as soon as,,,,,,,,,
DSC02386.jpg

adding reducing/reducing camber
DSC02353.jpg

job done ftw :grinning:

euro_micra

Matt :)
I used m12 washers instead of 1 long spacer, worked out well for me.
5650411804_c4de32ce25.jpg

Can you use cable/zip ties to secure the brake hose to the strut, and pass mot, as all it needs to be is 'secure' isn't it?
And what's the benefit of removing the helper springs?

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
maybe , if the hose was held securely enough
whats the helper spring actualy helping? and where you put em top or bottom end

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
top mount holes on shocks need widening in a slightly downwards direcion
need a sleeve to fit over this

DSC02389.jpg

thickness of sleeve support, idealy have the sleeve that thickness

DSC02396.jpg

a round file to allow it through the top mount , not much fileing to do realy

DSC02382.jpg

brake line bracket
DSC02367.jpg

where the thread starts,

DSC02405.jpg

thats the minimum size you can have the sleeve - car at its lowest.
other than that you can have as many different sleeve sizez for the height you
choose due to rims/tyres, butinvolves removing the whole leg again and again and isnt
much height diference, this ones for the low i guess
dooable though so not a big pain.

this is what i missed putin in so was getting knock noises now and then

DSC02414.jpg

DSC02415.jpg

spring on - sleeve on
these here on
DSC02418.jpg

tighten top nut down, do spring up by hand first, lock it and adjust later if you want it a harder ride

camber adjust, flat screwdriver marked up

DSC02353.jpg

and just follow the pics realy ,using parts from your old micra leg

DSC02371.jpg

notice diferent springs on karls ( project charlie ) ones maybe why his has sag'd or
sumpthing but springs are gettable, these things rust big time the spring and body, is why i
hit em with some bitumin type paint that hardens slightly

DSC02411.jpg

DSC02422.jpg

the rides very decent , smooth like-- member malcolmt said it reminds him of the mini's when he had a ride

thanks to other members for taking the plunge on this one you know who you are, made it a posibility for me

OP
OP
NIPPY
when you puting them on?

some time this week am hoping, i understand everythin now, after reading it over and over, all i dont understand is assembly of the front shocks and all that sleeve buisness, i will make a video of what i mean tomorrow if i get chance

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
the sleeve is like below he has used washers to bring it up to where the thread starts

I used m12 washers instead of 1 long spacer, worked out well for me.
5650411804_c4de32ce25.jpg

Can you use cable/zip ties to secure the brake hose to the strut, and pass mot, as all it needs to be is 'secure' isn't it?
And what's the benefit of removing the helper springs?

No Issues

Hi all, Really do not see the problem with fitting these, either that or we must have a different corsa b kit to you lot, we have fitted two of these kits now and used the whole kit inc rear shocks and springs, When you get it all apart it all becomes clear.

Also the only issue we had was trying to use the plastic nissan top bearings on the front strut as these were binding up and every time you turn the steering it was trying to undo the top nut, you do not need these as the coilover comes with a bearing.

Once you have it all together on one side get a mate to turn the steering wheel and make sure it is not undoing the top nut, if it looks like it is then you have done it wrong.

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
Hi all, Really do not see the problem with fitting these, either that or we must have a different corsa b kit to you lot, we have fitted two of these kits now and used the whole kit inc rear shocks and springs, When you get it all apart it all becomes clear.

Also the only issue we had was trying to use the plastic nissan top bearings on the front strut as these were binding up and every time you turn the steering it was trying to undo the top nut, you do not need these as the coilover comes with a bearing.

Once you have it all together on one side get a mate to turn the steering wheel and make sure it is not undoing the top nut, if it looks like it is then you have done it wrong.

pic of the bearing'd be handy

Shows how much you know then will930. both our micras have them fitted and both have been through an mot, but hey what do we know we are only a tuning/modding company.
We don't supply fitting instructions and walk through fitting guides as if you can't work it out and it is quite easy then we feel it would be a danger to show people with limited mechanical knowledge. Sorry. but safety comes first.

Shows how much you know then will930. both our micras have them fitted and both have been through an mot, but hey what do we know we are only a tuning/modding company.
We don't supply fitting instructions and walk through fitting guides as if you can't work it out and it is quite easy then we feel it would be a danger to show people with limited mechanical knowledge. Sorry. but safety comes first.

of course safety comnes first im not dumb! but i know for a face that the corsa rear springs are egg shaped type and the micra ones are stright and uniform

with different sizes at the ends that would cause seating issues from the start otherwise other people would be using them without cutting std springs

Similar but not exactly, also i'm not sure if i read it right but are people using corsa b top mounts? we are still using just the original nissan ones all be it brand new to make it all new. (another bit of information extracted from me lol) :glare:

i didn't say you are Dumb i just said we have used em and they have both gone through an M.O.T no problem. They are egg shaped but they can be made to fit really easily and by doing this you have a matched ride and height. and i must say and we use a road kit not a race kit the ride is superb.