cam/rocker cover

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
Had a spare one from a 1.3 engine that didnt sell so thought i would give it a revamp....started with using a grinder with a course wire brush attachment to remove all the crap and baked on oil along with the dirt and muck.....followed by 4 coats of primmer and 6 top coats of yellow not been happy with that I had the brain wave to do the centre in red enamell wish i hadn,t masking tape was rubbish paint bled through also when i did the lettering the smallest brush i had was not small enough...............well you learn by your mistakes so when its all dry and hardened off it will get rubed down and painted just plain old yellow...........i hate spoiling stuff but i enjoy putting it right............

Attachments

• IMG011.JPG
    IMG011.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG012.JPG
    IMG012.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG013.JPG
    IMG013.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 233
not good enough crap masking tape and rubbish brushes...........its hard to find good gear now thats not made in china
2nd time around i think it will get blingin yellow base and maybe some silver metal flake on top

What did you paint the lettering with? I'm having my rocker cover sprayed and want to paint the lettering a different colour,got told engine enamel would be best,what about normal enamel paint?

i managed to find some rare Red Crackle finish paint for rocker covers for £11 from america... arived this morning and is the same stuff they paint the inlet manifolds in Imprezza STI's and the Honda Type R rockers with.....

and ive got some now..hahaha

the way i understand enamel is that it gets harder with heat so i used ordinary enamel and time will tell, the spare rocker cover i have im removing the raised lettering to give it the smoothed look.

heres a nOOb question:

if i DO paint the writing with NORMAL enamel and it DOES crack...will the paint underneath crack? (providing its been laquered it shouldnt,right?)

just paint lettering same as rest of cover as they are a pain to get right better still grind them off for the smoothed look

lettering is to small and fiddley to mask off so i dont know a steady hand maybe, mine would have been fine if my dog didnt keep jumping on bench outside and causing it to rock so i just gave up in the end........as for normal enamel checked mine today after long run and its still solid no flakes as yet....

and it looks so easy to do by hand as well...........its not though the more you think about it the more you shake ha ha

lol Got my rocker cover back tonight,looks awsome! My sprayer is gonna put some of this paint into a tub for me to paint the lettering with :) Will try and get the name of it for you

just finished doing my spare in crackle finish red.... and looking at the price of the "crackle finish" rockers on yahoo japan, i may do a few more too...lol

it looks soooo good.
no pics until i have machined the top of the letters down..

bling bling.............heavy flake on lettering shame photo dont do it justice

Attachments

• IMG014.JPG
    IMG014.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 233
disaster when fitting new gasket be carefull more so when using bolts instead of cross head type, rocker cover wasnt seated correctly and when I did up the bolts it sheared the corner off lucky I had another that i had painted for someone but these are so easy to break..........take care when doing these up....

Attachments

• cam1.JPG
    cam1.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 216
Back