bumpers (pictures)

CMF_my_micra000

» CMF Member
hi guys!

i have just sprayed my bumpers a coupple of days ago (So that they match the colour of the car)

problem is, that the paint keeps coming off and has that horrible 'matte' finish because ive done it from spray can...

i know this was a fairly obvious mistake to make, but does anyone know what i need to put on them to make them have the same finish as the rest of the car?
is it a sort of lacquer?

cheers

oh, below is a picture of it lol !

Attachments

• 26177.jpg
    26177.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 33

CMF_jay22

» CMF Member
well they would need plastic primer and depending on what the rest of they paint is. easy way to tell. if its a flat color its 2pak, if its got metalic or pearl in it its clear over base paint. you would never get it to look the same as the rest of the car from a spray can. should cost about $200 for a panel shop to do it.

CMF_jay22

» CMF Member
its the only way to go with plastic, it makes the paint stick. but your better off getting it done by a spraypainter, something like that done bad will ruin the look of your car.

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
3 coats of primer, as many colours of base coat depending on how deep you want the colour looking to suit the rest of your car. and 3 coats of lacquer. thats the steps i used to spray my dash and interior bits and bats. i tried it on an old wing mirror 1st and came up pritty good.

you will never get it a 100% match due to weathering the rest of your car would have had. only way is to get a full spray job.

although dont get me wrong you can get it looking near as damn it perfect. up to yourself how much effort, time and money you want to put in to it.

CMF_jay22

» CMF Member
if your other paint is in good condition you can blend the bumper in so you won't notice. cut and polish the rest will help this.

jax did mean clear? or are you talking about lacquer used for wood?

CMF_jaxx

» CMF Member
yeah probably, but for a good job i can tell you the way i have done it is mint. lasted over 2 years now, no flacking or owt and has had some well hot days as punishment to tests its wear and tear.....result....none! and as you Australians know it gets quite hot in the cabin when left still

alternativly go to a body shop (one you dont intend to go to any time soon lol) and ask for some advice...sure they will help you.

by the time you buy all the materials you need to do this properly, and factor in the time it will take you to do it. the cost will almost be as much as it would have cost you to get it done professionally, and will more then likely look half as good with you doing it if you've had no experience. leave em black, or do it properly... :) btw. you don't need a spray gun to get a good job, spray cans work just as good if you know how to use em, and your prep is right.

Back