Breakdown kit

Thought this might be a useful topic for some of us but basically with all the work im gonna do on the engine its gonna want a good first run in, gonna go lancaster way and back, it 30 mile each way so nice and steady down a6 there will be some good spots where I can go 60 some of the parrallel backroads might be more not sure but if not theres the motoway for the way back if I get bored.

But being it will have just been warmed up for 15mins ish and checked over for leaks etc theres still a chance something could go wrong.

So whats the best kit to carry with you on a journey like that :)

Would like to see what people carry with them generally to as I know a lot of people dont like factory jacks but whered you put a trolley lol. Obviously its a bit of a balancing act of least tools vs what you can fix roadside.

Open to see all onboard kits other than just engine run in though has anyone concealed first aid kit in boot behind arch or anything like that ;)

Look forward to seeing your ideas :)

Well as most people on here know, by now, I keep a lot of stuff in my boot :p

• Collapsible traffic cone
  • Folding shovel
  • Foot pump
  • Wheel brace
  • Standard wind up jack
  • Spare wheel bolts (and locking wheel nut key)
  • Long bolt (like a stud) for easier wheel fitting (I'm a girl, little upper body strength lol)
  • Space saver spare wheel *shudder* (though full size f I can)
  • Window squeegee
  • Blanket
  • Cushion
  • Drinking water
  • Jump leads
  • 12v to USB charger
  • Torch
  • Tyre pressure guage
  • Magnet on an extendible stick
  • basic tool kit (philips head & flat head screwdrivers various... adjustable spanner, pliers, stubby hammer)
  • Basic first aid kit (Plasters, couple of badages and safety pins)
  • Wet wipes (the ones you get free from take outs work well, lemony fresh)
  • kitchen roll (tissue)
  • Dash cam *new*
  • Stormtrooper
  • Meerkat Assassin
I Winter I also carry....
  • Traction tracks
  • snow socks (Tex chains)
  • De icer spray
  • Extra tough window scraper

I would actually recommend one of those jump start box things too,
but I don't leave that in the car,
it only comes with us on a long journey after charging solid for a couple of days ^_^

also an in car charger for you phone is a good idea...

EDIT: I'm starting to think I should also carry
  • Gaffer/Duct tape
  • Cable ties
  • J knife

Good stuff jen thats quite a selection :)

Think part of my promblem is gonna be boot space lol when I make the floor for the 15" I think ill square the sides off at the width the arch comes in and make a door, hopefully end up with 2 big pockets for stuff like jump leads tools etc that way if I go shopping or anything the boot should be empty when youve got everything, in the ka I8 broke about 3 different subs cause of, tbh mostly junk, and bad loading and being messy lol I think one died by the factory jacket :(

Gonna be good to this car and keep it clean inside I used to be terrible for rubbish :( lol

I have a pair of "boot organizers".... just those grey cloth bags.... that sit either side of my boot
although my boot is wider than that of a K11 it's not as deep. or long

(my winter stuff is in a third bag, which is actually designed to fit a 4l bottle of engine oil ^_^ )
I also take a pair of steel toe-cap wellies if the weather is particularly bad

I forgot that I also have a pair of waterproof trousers and a waterproof jacket rolled up in my glove box.....where I keep my driving gloves, torch and pressure guage ;)

also, in my K12, I have a small storage box under the passengers seat which is where I keep my shopping bags and first aid kit

best to figure out what you think you'll need the most, than work your way to fit less important items
EG: Jump leads, jack & basic tools = important

dustballs?
DSC00577_zps9a0489db.jpg

....not so much LOL

In my Millie micra...
•Set of assorted screwdrivers.
•Basic Socket set.
•Strong arm bar and 17" 19" 21" deep impact sockets incase I assist anyone else :)
•Pliars
•Wire cutters
•Wire strippers and crimps.
•Assorted fuses
•Paint touch up kit.
•Couple of micro fibre cloths and instant show shine.
But tbh I cross my fingers and hope its never needed.

In Mildred I have a bag containing.. ..
.100 meters of climbing rope (extra strong)
Warning triangle
Basic tool kit electrical tape pressure gauge
Conector blocks and spare wirering
Alsorts of random bolts and screws
Cable ties
Scissors
Hunting knife
Nissan car jacking items
Hi vis jacket
Three winding torches
Shoelaces and other random bits of rope
£20
Gortex water proofs
Mini first aid kit
Thermals and a coat in the back
Tooth brush and tooth paste a few few other bits like that
Pen and notebook and pencil
All my "in case of emergency numbers"
Tablets
blanket
Army survival bag.... could be freezing you never know
Bungees
Mini sewing kit
Some sucky sweets
Jubily clips
Permanant marker
A few diffrent sized karabiners
There was a Kendal mint cake. .... but I ate it.. ..
Gloves

There's probably more tbh :O x

Gonna give it a honing, new rings, new valve guides and valves, new gaskets and ill have a bash at port an polish and give a ruddy good clean :D oh will be rebuilt with new head bolts and 1.3cams, I keep searching for other things to do while it's apart but things thats about my limit, may see if I'd be allowed to skim the head a bit at work off clock but I don't think they'll like that, cant hurt to ask lol.

Also does anyone have any links to things like tolerances and torque settings? I am usually more of a tighten till it feels like its stopped tightening lol

Engine is 170000 ish miles old so what do people advise with bearings? Any good cheap suppliers?

Dont rly want to take it out and apart again after this lol.
cant offer much more about it as its not been opened yet but had minor low idle judder thing a bit when was running but not too bad. If I get the time to id like to make my own inlet and exhaust manifold but I suspect I will have to force myself not too so I can stay on schedule lol.

refer to haynes for all the specs and use a torque wrench for all important and high torqued fasteners.

method of break-in is still controversial and confusing and up to the users preference & experience.
many debating over the factory guidance light & gentle till 1000m vs controversial motoman's progressively hard & fast methods.

I may not be the best person to advise cos I've only tried the hard & fast method after re-ringing a stock engine and now my forged piston engine with a variety of results, mostly burning oil but I dunno if it caused by machining or procedure.

motomans procedure is explained here
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
it's basically warm up fully asap, always vary the rpm with a "pulse & glide" driving style, progressively apply more and more load & rpm as the miles build and change the oil frequently.

video of first attempt on forged engine. engine was machined too tight with used rings
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-56#post-521600

and videos of a recent attempt with new rings, bearings & block. a few oil leak mistakes and oil-rings didn't bed-in much after 1000m until I thrashed em recently on track in jan, guess its cos they're racing forged pistons.
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-83#post-600310

Back