back box change

hi

my back box is blowing. im going to swap the one off my old k11 (its less than 6 months old) and put it on my new car. (in case your wondering, the timing chain on my old k11 went so the engines dead).

i was just thinking though, if the gasket has gone (between the back box and the middle pipe) can i get buy a replacement? if not, what else could i use? is there like a spray on sealant/gasket ?

I use gun gum (as do many others)... Always does the trick :)

to use:
Apply to sealing surfaces fairly liberally but not so it all squishes inside the tube and restricts flow.

bolt it all up

start engine and allow to idle for 10 mins, the gun gum set when hot and if you start revving the nuts off the engine before its set then you are likely to blow holes in the soft paste.

all done :)

They Are deffo fused on now!! I got the two off my old k11 (back box was only done about 6 months ago or less) the ones on my new k11 i could only get one out the other one is just rounding off

just for future ref if anyone comes back to this thread...

you can have the world biggest breaker bar and hammer but if that nut just aint undoing and it keeps slipping you ARE going to round that nut off and you WILL need to get the old grinder out lol.

thanks

I always clean any exposed rusty thread with a dremel wirebrush and then spray wd40 before trying to undo the nut otherwise the rust will get trapped in the threads and bind and will either round the nut or snap the stud if forced.

On some nuts I try to grind the exposed excess stud threads off to prevent that from happening

yes i just sprayed it with wd40 let it sit for a bit then went at it with a socket...

as i say, thew newer back box came off pretty easy (it was on my old k11 for less than 6 months so hadnt binded much) but on my new k11 i could only get one nut out the other one was done for and needed grinding.

thanks!

:) its really wild on here
one of these?
gatorgripftw%2Bjh1288820354.jpg

Well my backbox is getting on my tits since I can't get my grinder reyt in cos of the flange. Should I either drill them out or get the bottles on it. The nuts are rounded and its on a welded stud.

Those Irwin sockets are really good, get's you out of the hassle of Dremel(mans best friend?)/grinder as do stud extractors if you can get a drill in.

The above ones pictured are crap though in my opinion.

FWIW I think Gum Gum is rubbish, although is what most people use- you're better off using a Loctite high temp sealant- it's basically a gasket maker and will last for years- unlike Gum Gum, which I find turns to power with continuous heat cycles over a long period of time.

Back