Anyone ever added a Turbo to a 1.0 Micra?

Blueybigs

Ex. Club Member
Hello Micra Maniacs, I am a new member to MSC and am hoping to spruce my 1.0 Twister up with hopefully some help from fellow members?
Firstly the power could do with pumping up a bit so I was thinking a Turbo unit would be the way to go, or a Supercharger if easier?
Has anyone who may read this ever done this to a Micra or similar engined car please?
I have a mechanic mate who will be doing the bulk of the job with some green assistance from myself.... hopefully that is.
Cheers from Rich

Check out PollyP's blog or read through "what I did today" the biggest problem you'll have with the 1.0 is the clutch

suggest first fitting a 1.3 block to maximise potential before turboing

also get insurance quote on how much extra converting to 1.3 and/or fitting turbo will add

how much gain u aiming for?

Cheers for the reply Pollyp, but could I not Turbo up a 1.0? I understand the March super was only a 1.0?
As far as the insurance goes would I not have to wait and see how much the power is before getting a quote?
I'll have a look at your blog in a mo too. :grinning:

Could I not Turbo up a 1.0?

You can but you'd get better gains from the 1.3

I understand the March super was only a 1.0?

Thats the k10 march turbo

As far as the insurance goes would I not have to wait and see how much the power is before getting a quote?

No..... Any mods regardless of what they are need to be declared, look at it like this if it didn't have it coming out of the factory the insurance company need to know

i doubt if the (post 2000) coilpack pistons are really suitable for boosting rich, the ringlands are very thin/weak :eek: (the one on the right)

Attachments

• PICT0215.JPG
    PICT0215.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 587
u can turbo anything u like.
depends on how much ya wanna gain

for a low cost reliable small gain across the entire rev band, upping to 1.3 gives 75hp and 77ftlb for afew £ after selling the 1L block and has more potential gain from engine mods.

keeping the shorter 1L gearing provides good acceleration but poor mpg.
adding the taller 1.3 gearbox improves mpg and lowers motorway revs/noise

a CAI and 421 header manifold and flowing straight-through silencer (£400+) gives medium gain at high revs.
on a 1L that could make prob 70-90bhp (cheaper to just fit 1.3 block)
on a 1.3 with draggy PAS mine reached 92bhp, some non-PAS reached upto 110bhp?)

turboing a 1L upto 90bhp might be ok but going higher will prob need to consider upgrading the fuel pump, injectors, MAF, exhaust system, clutch, gearbox, anything else that might fail.

best to get a rough quote before committing to any big mods

There was definately a couple of people here who turbo'd the 1.0, but from what I remember they only managed 90something bhp out of it, fitting the 1.3, or 1.4 for your 52plate with a couple of n/a modifications will see 90bhp easily for alot less work and money.
ITBs on the 1.0 seem popular in Japan though.

I have a slightly perverse desire to see a CG10 putting out 100bhp*. I think it stems from reading an article in Cars and Car Conversions years ago where the mag were trying to get 100bhp per liter from a Pinto. That ratio has stuck in my head as the magic number to aim for since then

*I very much doubt it will be me that sees it though.

Back