Airbag Warning light on

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
hi all, i just took my dash out, (has a passenger airbag) and when i put it all back together the airbag warning light was on.

the airbags should be fine, they are all plugged in fine so i think that the ECU is just finding something to moan about.

does anyone know what to do about this?

at the moment i have disconnected that battery over night and see what that does.

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
there is a yellow connecter that the passenger side airbag plugs into up behind dash, if you over looked it by chance then the airbag command unit will find only one and throw a fault up.......I have a spare passenger side airbag if you need one.

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
there is a yellow connecter that the passenger side airbag plugs into up behind dash, if you over looked it by chance then the airbag command unit will find only one and throw a fault up.......I have a spare passenger side airbag if you need one.

ooh thanks mate, and i may be interested in that air bag, i was a bit violent when getting the dash back in, i think it might have got bumped. but we will see how it works tomorrow when i plug the battery back in :D

capnmchl

Ex. Club Member
Might sound stupid, but have you considered the fact that the airbag light stays on for a few seconds after you start the car? Like, have you actually been driving around, or did you start it and the airbag light stayed on, so you turned it off?

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
Might sound stupid, but have you considered the fact that the airbag light stays on for a few seconds after you start the car? Like, have you actually been driving around, or did you start it and the airbag light stayed on, so you turned it off?

haha yea mate, its not that it comes on like normal when starting the car, but then afterwards it starts flashing and wont stop until you switch the car off, i had to drive home with it flashing at me all the way >>

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
right, the warning light is still on so it is not a fault code in the ecu, the airbags are in a mood, i am pretty sure it will be the passenger one. does anyone have any other ideas?

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
the only other time ive heard of this happinening with the twin airbags turned out to be the command mod for airbags it didnt detect the 2nd airbag

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
the only other time ive heard of this happinening with the twin airbags turned out to be the command mod for airbags it didnt detect the 2nd airbag

by that do you mean the passenger one? i don't get why it shouldn't see it tho, all i did was unplug it and plug it back in.

solarice

Ex. Club Member
You tried this? (not micra specific so may or may not work):

If you have the airbag light, it will show steady for a few seconds (the manual says 7 secs) after you turn the key from off to on (but not start) and then start to flash. Here is how to reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again

I do though seem to remember reading something about another method involving the door interior light switch...after searching the only thing i could find is this :

what i did is open door turn to on postion press interior light button on door 5 times within 7 secs switch the engine on turn engine off shut door turn engine to on till light goes out hope it works did for me after 3 attempts

maybe also worth a shot.

Bash1989

Ex. Club Member
have you tried disconnecting the battery then unplug the airbag then reconnect the battery then start her up then do it in reverse and see what happens?

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
You tried this? (not micra specific so may or may not work):

If you have the airbag light, it will show steady for a few seconds (the manual says 7 secs) after you turn the key from off to on (but not start) and then start to flash. Here is how to reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again

I do though seem to remember reading something about another method involving the door interior light switch...after searching the only thing i could find is this :

what i did is open door turn to on postion press interior light button on door 5 times within 7 secs switch the engine on turn engine off shut door turn engine to on till light goes out hope it works did for me after 3 attempts

maybe also worth a shot.

yea i found that on the Nissan forum, i tried it but no luck, :C

have you tried disconnecting the battery then unplug the airbag then reconnect the battery then start her up then do it in reverse and see what happens?

yep, i have tried that, apparently according to the internet it is a disagreement between the accelerometer sensors...

nissan want £70 so they can plug their stupid little computer in and tell me how much they are going to shaft me by.

nissan make good cars, but thats the only thing good about them, service and cost are teribble

kennierobo

Buy & Sell Member
not a lot in haynes but what there is .............

Attachments

• PICT0012.JPG
    PICT0012.JPG
    772.3 KB · Views: 1,082
  • PICT0013.JPG
    PICT0013.JPG
    747.5 KB · Views: 1,278
  • PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    789.7 KB · Views: 1,084

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
just take the bulb out....

they are leds ;) and a pain to disconnect. i tried to find the wire which powers them, but i never did???

did you put the ignition on when airbags were disconnected? it's not only nissan who can remove the airbag fault code. and you may not need a new part, it still flashes if everything is ok if you have had a fault, but is now fixed.

i went to an npoc rolling road meet and sold him and fitted a new airbag/horn ribbon spool for a primera owner as his was broken and threw a fault up. then the rolling road garage erased the fault for him for free.

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
just take the bulb out....

thats an MOT failure

My air bag light kept flashing when my alternator went wrong.....know idea why?!!

what did you do to clear it or did it go away by itself?

they are leds ;) and a pain to disconnect. i tried to find the wire which powers them, but i never did???

did you put the ignition on when airbags were disconnected? it's not only nissan who can remove the airbag fault code. and you may not need a new part, it still flashes if everything is ok if you have had a fault, but is now fixed.

i went to an npoc rolling road meet and sold him and fitted a new airbag/horn ribbon spool for a primera owner as his was broken and threw a fault up. then the rolling road garage erased the fault for him for free.

i may have switched the car on without the airbag connected, just to wind the electric windows

nissan want £75 i am not going to pay that just to reset it, there has to be another way. what about getting a new ecu from a scrap yard?

change the dashboard and put a single airbag module in

the dashboard is unique, it has extra spaces for the roof switch and is a facelift dash except it has a prefacelift fusebox, and dials, also the glovebox is different and the ash try is on the other side along with the wiper stalk and it also holds a double din stereo

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
nex is this on the cab if it has a obd two port i could bring my ecu cable to the mids meet on sunday try and reset it for you

awesome mate, yea it is the cab, and i am pretty sure it is ODBII in there,

i read somewhere that the ECU for the engine is seperate from the ECU for the airbags, but it is always worth a try. i did think that letting it stand over night with no battery would fix it but unfortunatly not.

Dragonmaster_uk

K12 NUTTER
awesome mate, yea it is the cab, and i am pretty sure it is ODBII in there,

i read somewhere that the ECU for the engine is seperate from the ECU for the airbags, but it is always worth a try. i did think that letting it stand over night with no battery would fix it but unfortunatly not.

i`ll bring it with me see if we can sort it out

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
nah its not mate, its not even if its flashing now either.

yes i do remember you starting the car to do the windows.

really? well thats cool it means i can leave it til after the mot... but the wheel bearing is a fail >> not sure what to do about that... anyone got gtir calipers?? :D

######, do you think thats what did it? in a way i hope it is, so that i know nothing is broken. i have this horrible feeling i may of pinched a wire or danaged the airbag... there is a rattle now from somewhere behind the dash... i may have to take it off again...

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
if you started the car with an airbag missing id say the ecu thinks it has deployed so you may need a new airbag

but why would i need a new airbag? surely just a reset will do?

ah bloody rattles, do impossible to track, i end up giving up!

i know! i get a buzzing sound from behind the dash somewhere (hoping its a bag of phonos hitting each othe lol) and the wheel bearing making really bad grinding noises. but i wanna go uk hubs instead which means new brakes which might as well be gtir

capnmchl

Ex. Club Member
Mate, for now to pass the MOT, it'll probably just easier to get the standard micra tea cups, and stick em on. You must be able to get a set super cheap?

And then get the GTIR brakes whilst you can. Or hold of on those micra brakes, and if you don't find any a fortnight before your test, get some micra ones' on.

jowley

Ex. Club Member
it just needs restting via diagnoistic tool try ur local garage or an autoelcletrician probs charge bout 30 quid most cars nowadays have to be reset for anything you unplug i did a clutch on a toyota and had to reset all the abs this so called technollgy is a load of b******s its allways goin wrong

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
have you tried James mate? Not sure what kit he has, but he will definitely know someone who can do it if he can't.

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member

oh wow that is difficult. are there many people in the office or just one? would a really big person work as a distraction?

Mate, for now to pass the MOT, it'll probably just easier to get the standard micra tea cups, and stick em on. You must be able to get a set super cheap?

And then get the GTIR brakes whilst you can. Or hold of on those micra brakes, and if you don't find any a fortnight before your test, get some micra ones' on.

yea well the hubs on the march are totally different to rather than fix them i can change them to uk, but then i have to change the brakes too which means bleeding the system and i only want to do that once, so i would prefer the uprated brakes... but i will see if any come up :D

it just needs restting via diagnoistic tool try ur local garage or an autoelcletrician probs charge bout 30 quid most cars nowadays have to be reset for anything you unplug i did a clutch on a toyota and had to reset all the abs this so called technollgy is a load of b******s its allways goin wrong

well my local garage is a nissan so they wanted £75. i was hoping that taking the battery out would do it. and yea i hate this technology, its great in theory, but nissan put all this crap in to keep you coming back. i had a look at my mums car and got it to limp home mode just by unplugging something for a second, had to go to nissan.

have you tried James mate? Not sure what kit he has, but he will definitely know someone who can do it if he can't.

very good point i will give him a call, i bet he has had this problem