Advice/ help with disc and pad change

Mrs took her K11 2000 micra for the MOT a couple of months ago. Unknown to me she was advised that the pads would need attention with 3k miles. She forgot all about it until last night when she came in from work complaining of a noise coming from the brakes.

The extent of my mechanics extends to basic servicing and not much else. Money is a bit tight atm so I have investigated the problem myself. The front offside has worn through and just scored the disc. I undid the caliper to have a look and probed the outer pad but it sprung out (panic). So now the car is stuck outside...

Obviously it has to be 100% safe. The discs seem to come straight off once the caliper is off- are they that simple to fit?
How hard are the new pads to fit? Thats the bit Im concerned about. I had a quick go at refitting the old pad for a practice but couldnt get it to locate for some reason.
As its a Sunday tomorrow, looks like Halfrauds for the bits and a tough afternoon :)

Thanks in advance for any help
Chris

you might find it easier to fit the disc and refit the caliper then take out the lower slider bolt and then swing the caliper middle upwards chris (i find it easier to get the sprung clips/retainers into position that way) :grinning:
attachment.php

Attachments

• SDC10949.JPG
    SDC10949.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 432
Thanks for replying.
noob questions again-
Is the "slider bolt" one of the main two bolts holding the caliper on? If so i take it you mean remove it and pivot it round?
The retainers are still in the calliper, do these need to come out/be replaced as part of the job?
Sorry I started now lol

no chris, refit the 2 bigger caliper bolts and remove the 1 slider bolt (12mm iirc) then the middle will swing right back on the upper slider pin

Ahh, will have a look in daylight tomorrow. Does it show Im clueless? :)
Cheers for helping Frank

np chris :grinning: it means you can slide the pads up against the disc, and make sure they are seated onto those sprung retainers properly

BAH! Phoned up halfords this morning, spoke to the guy on parts- "Yes, we have 5 discs in stock, 1 set of pads left", so I just drove into town to be told "we dont stock discs, they are all special order" arrrrghhh!
Car is now out of action until i get a chance in the week hopefully. At least they had the pads. Having said that, best check they are the right ones they have given me...

Barring the score is there anything wrong with the discs? So long as they are'nt more than a millimetre or so thinner than the quoted minimum thickness they are fine to drive around with and you aren't going to hurt a set of new pads just by using them on a scored disc for a few days.

Iain

1 disc is fine, the other is fine except for the score. Mrs and myself are on on same work patterns so its no biggy to share my car for a few days while I suss it all out. Thanks for the info though.

Well, just finished it in the piddling down rain and all seems fine. Took it for a test spin on the back roads for a gentle drive and then tried some emergency stops. I pulled over to have a quick check at the side of the road and there was a feint burning smell (which I expected) but was a bit concerned to see a blue-ish heat mark on the discs. They dont seem to be binding at all and I gave them a clean so is this anything to worry about?

Thanks for the tips on fitting, very useful (Y)

Did you clean them off with solvent before fitting them? They are usually covered in light oil to save them getting surface rust whilst on the shelf. It's also better to go easy on new pads and discs whilst they bed in - before they bed in you often find a surprisingly small area of the pad is in contact with the disc so that area gets much hotter as the friction is concentrated there and you can risk glazing them.

Iain

Yes gave them a clean as per maufacturers instructions. Bit worried I may have gone heavy on them. If thay have glazed is there anything I can do or will they recover with normal use?

Back