Latest mod!

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Comments welcome! Thanks to Ed for supplying the LED's and wiring them in. They look absolusly awesome imo

6.DSC00289.jpg

Are the LED's operating as BACKLIGHTS or are they illuminating by reflection off the dials from the front?

How are you driving the LED's?....Straight from the battery/alternator via a resistor or do you have electronics to drive the LEDS?....(V.intrigued)

They're running from behind from the standard backlight power instead of the OEM bulbs. Im not sure if they have resistors or not, you'l have to ask Ed!

They're definitly not having the light projected on to them! i've got another picture

14.lights2.jpg

They look a bit pink in this one however they're bright red i can assure you. the bottom lights are standard red 501 bulbs (apart from the blue one of course!)

the thing i never like about leds, is tat you never get a consitant light over the whole dial, you always get parts that are brighter and parts that are dimmer

Mark had exactly the same LED's in his super s dials i bought off him, i took them out and put normal ones in as the LED's were a bit low on light, the light behind the cluster are only sidelight bulbs, most probably LED's can be bought for fairly cheap from maplins, just give them a sidelight and tell them you want a LED replacement, i dont know how many volts go to the cluster though, its probably 12 as normal but check first

I can guarantee you the LEDs used for Arnolds dash are not the 501 over-the-counter ones, these are much brighter and used to illuminate footwells and had to be custom fitted to the dial cluster. I know, I had some of the blue ones on my K10 and they looked awesome, TONS brighter than the ones i got from UltraLEDs!

look great mate, ed doesn't use any old crap they'll be the best led's you can get im sure. ill have to get some too please! :D

ohc_turbo - the LEDS in that cluster were great when i first had them but two out of the three no longer work,

My dials in my current SS are blue, look quite cool. I wanna get some Footwell LEDs next

James said:
I can guarantee you the LEDs used for Arnolds dash are not the 501 over-the-counter ones, these are much brighter and used to illuminate footwells and had to be custom fitted to the dial cluster. I know, I had some of the blue ones on my K10 and they looked awesome, TONS brighter than the ones i got from UltraLEDs!

lol yes indeed, anyone remember what about 4 leds did to Ed's living room in the dark?!?!

Just about 4 of these illuminated the entire living room! I can personally vouch for the quality and brightness of these when I had them in the Micra which also had there very own Ed's special program loop that dimmed and brightened them.

Kev :)

you can get diffrent brghtness ones though, they all were working when i was testing it but some of them were flickering, i might get some more when i get payed, definatly going to get some blue ones for my other car

has anyone tackled the heater button light aswell as the cluster, it seems like the actual plasctic is green so it might be impossible

ohc_turbo said:
you can get diffrent brghtness ones though, they all were working when i was testing it but some of them were flickering, i might get some more when i get payed, definatly going to get some blue ones for my other car

has anyone tackled the heater button light aswell as the cluster, it seems like the actual plasctic is green so it might be impossible
Yes, you can get brighter ones, but I haven't found any as good as Ed's ones yet (even 10,000 MCD blue ones)

ohc_turbo said:

well mate if the bulb you use is a pure enough blue it should at least make it Cyan (light blue) ;)

as green and blue make cyan :p

Here you go. The room one is 4 leds the dash is 4, the footwells are 3 each side.

Attachments

• redleds0001.jpg
    redleds0001.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 215
  • daveK110007.jpg
    daveK110007.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 401
  • puntoled0005.jpg
    puntoled0005.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 208
Back