ma10 and ma12 compatable

jamieccc

Ex. Club Member
right ive astablished that the valves from a ma12 will fit a ma10 and so on! but is the only difference between them the size of the block?

will a sump from a MA fit any MA? (i mean 10 and 12)
also the camshaft are they the same for both of the engines?
anything else the same on both the engines?

only reason i ask is because i ahve a 1 litre now and would like some spares for a 1.2

cheers

superls

K10 Tuner
sump will fit, rocker cover will fit, cam belt upper cover is different, altenator pulley is different, dizzy, fuel pump, thermostat housing all interchangable.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
All the heads are the same and perfectly interchangeable. The combustion designs are also the same. The difference are with the port designs and also the combustion chamber volume/diameter.

OP
OP
jamieccc

jamieccc

Ex. Club Member
All the heads are the same and perfectly interchangeable. The combustion designs are also the same. The difference are with the port designs and also the combustion chamber volume/diameter.

so if you was going to go far the better of the 2 heads for a race enigne which one would you have?

curtis

Ex. Club Member
the 1.2 i would imagine, when i compared the 1.2 head off mine with a 1.0 the ports were alot smoother etc, but whether thats to do with the head work that was done im not 100% sure

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
big port? All the valves and all the port sizes are the same. The only difference is the 1.0 heads have a swirl cast into the head, the 1.2 heads don't and nor does the MA09 heads.

OP
OP
jamieccc

jamieccc

Ex. Club Member
big port? All the valves and all the port sizes are the same. The only difference is the 1.0 heads have a swirl cast into the head, the 1.2 heads don't and nor does the MA09 heads.

Ed if you was to recommend a head for a ma12 which one would it be then? and why?

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
I would probably use a 1.2 head, however its not ideal, unless on a 1.2 engine, as you will drop in compression ratio.

Really you need MA12 ports on a MA10 head. Then flow it up the compression ratio and fit cams decent carbs and exhaust.

bobsp16

Site Supporter
just drop the whole ecc engine in but dont use any of the ignition or electrics off it use the standard 1.0 distributor and ignition system and use both the 1.0 inlet/carb and exhaust systems.

There is no difference in combustion chamber shape or volume between the MA10 or MA12 heads
Compression adjustment is made via the size of the bowl in the piston. There is one bowl size fot the MA12, 2 for the MA10
The heads are not the same within the port areas, in all aspects they are identical
The valves are the same on the MA10 and MA12 but not the MA09
The MA12, 18B casting number head is the best (most efficient re: power development)

There is no difference in combustion chamber shape or volume between the MA10 or MA12 heads
Compression adjustment is made via the size of the bowl in the piston. There is one bowl size fot the MA12, 2 for the MA10
The heads are not the same within the port areas, in all aspects they are identical
The valves are the same on the MA10 and MA12 but not the MA09
The MA12, 18B casting number head is the best (most efficient re: power development)

the old bird ive got here is 31B is that good or bad lol?

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
Might be best to park the k10 up for a while and play with other things for a bit. It can really kill your enthusiasm to be working on the same thing all the time, or doing the same jobs over and over. It's good to have a change and keep things fresh, and if you keep the k10 to one side you'll always have it there ready for a rainy day, or if you change your mind again after doing other things. (Y)

aLLeKs

Club Member (Trial)
I just want to mention in this thread, that the camshafts are NOT the same. You can change the camshaft and in general it is the same, but then you need to change the ignition timing, because the camshafts pin to the distributer is different.

superls

K10 Tuner
I just want to mention in this thread, that the camshafts are NOT the same. You can change the camshaft and in general it is the same, but then you need to change the ignition timing, because the camshafts pin to the distributer is different.

how come i ran a MA10 dizzy on a MA12 engine then?

aLLeKs

Club Member (Trial)
No theres no problem with it, but the pin (at the camshaft) is at different angle or so... it will affect your ignition and it need to be adjusted (well, you do it anyway if you change the cams, but I made some marks because I thought I don't have to adjust the ignition again. But this marks were incorrect, so the pin should be different) I heard it from another person too.

Hi there,

Speaking of compatibility, how to fit a ma12 coil in a ma10 engine? Heard that ma12 coils deliver more current so I bought a cheap one on ebay.de. The thing is the two wires from the distributor are plugged in a ma12 and bolted in a ma10. Plus there a small electric component next to the ma12 coil that has 3 wires (red/black/ white and red).

How to make the whole thing work? What's the ignition wiring between ma10 and ma12 coils?

I would probably use a 1.2 head, however its not ideal, unless on a 1.2 engine, as you will drop in compression ratio.

Really you need MA12 ports on a MA10 head. Then flow it up the compression ratio and fit cams decent carbs and exhaust.

isnt that good if u want to turbo it or would it lower it too much