Flywheels

superls

K10 Tuner
Hi All, below is a bit of what i got up to last weekend.

Image210.jpg

Image211.jpg

Image212.jpg

Image213.jpg

sorry for the crap pics

this is a cg10 lightened flywheel, i didnt record the start weight but as you can see it finnished up at just under 3.1kg. i balanced it myself at home and it came out ok, then i handed it over to my aunties fella to put it on there ballancer at work and it came out almost bang on, (closer than the stock cg13 one i have)

i have a coupe mere flywheels, a ma12 one, and a cg13 one.

would anyone be interest in one of those if i were to lighten them?

if so please get intouch by posting up or via pm.

i would like to work this much the same as the auto-factors do with starter motors and altenators etc, and take your old one back.

let me know what you think.

Scott

P.S. the cg10 one (pictured) is not for sale as its for my k10 cg project, but i can source one locally if someone wants one doing.

3.1kgs?! Wooo, that's light ;) Good stuff!

I ended up with the flywheel being 6.2kgs on this built including the crank pickup. No doubt I could have gone much lighter but I wanted to experiment with retaining good driveability, while retaining a good amount of thermal mass, so the paddle clutch/flywheel combo doesn't suffer too much from abuse.

I'd be interested to know how a 3.1kg flywheel drives :)

low rider mine is about 3.2kg's iirc and the car drives fine...needed the idle fiddling with and a little more when on a hill from a standing position but nothing difficult to get used to.

looks good though superls :)

3.1kgs?! Wooo, that's light ;) Good stuff!

I ended up with the flywheel being 6.2kgs on this built including the crank pickup. No doubt I could have gone much lighter but I wanted to experiment with retaining good driveability, while retaining a good amount of thermal mass, so the paddle clutch/flywheel combo doesn't suffer too much from abuse.

I'd be interested to know how a 3.1kg flywheel drives :)

what engine do you have a cga? just wondering with it having the crank pickup. any pics?

low rider mine is about 3.2kg's iirc and the car drives fine...needed the idle fiddling with and a little more when on a hill from a standing position but nothing difficult to get used to.

looks good though superls :)

the one on my ma12 is about 3.5kg, like you say needs the driving style altering but nothing you cant adjust to.

just dug out the scales and the cg13 fly is 18lb 12oz or 8.55kg.

would be interesting to no the weight of the cg10 one.

I have a CG13 but my car runs on am Omex 600. I could have installed a trigger wheel on the crank pulley but matt had a billet flywheel and Helix clutch going, so I nabbed it. The flywheel already had the pickups machined into the flywheel face.

Yeah i just changed mine for a lightened one but it wasnt that light lol

So i have my standard one that would be good to knock off as much as possible :)

Ill measure it tonight

Yeah i just changed mine for a lightened one but it wasnt that light lol

So i have my standard one that would be good to knock off as much as possible :)

Ill measure it tonight

yea measure it and if it will fit send it me (if you dont need it) and ill cover the postage.

CG13 flywheels are a pain to lighten as they are 2 piece flywheels unlike the CG10 flywheels. So you either use a CG10 item and have it machined to accept a bigger clutch or go or one like k6pfs' friend makes. We had a go at lightening a CG13 flywheel last year and it didn't prove feasable as you can only take a few kgs off and thanks to the 2 piece design which bolts to the outside of the flywheel not much mass can be taken from the extremities which is where the most gains are to be made :(

i,ve only come across one of the 2 piece ones, and more of the 1 piece 1.3 ones personally, and the post 98 (but pre-coilpack) 1.0 ones have a bit less material around the edge than the 1 piece 1.3 ones :)

Hmmmm, that's interesting Frank........my SuperS is an early 94 model, so perhaps they changed designs and mine is more of a relic haha ;)

Good to know though, as they are useless for lightening.....

Back